ERC ServicesPage address: http://lib.mnsu.edu/services/erc/ercservices.html
The Educational Resource Center (ERC) houses several collections supporting the College of Education curriculum at MSU as well as audio-visual materials supporting the entire university. Audio-visual equipment and related services are also available in the ERC. The ERC is a unit within Memorial Library and it located on the Library's lower level.
Multimedia equipment available for in-Library use
- Videotape players (VCRs)
- DVD players
- Videotape player for international video formats – PAL, SECAM, etc.
- Region-free DVD player for international DVDs
- 16mm film projector
- Record player
Multimedia equipment available for check-out to MSU Library Patrons
Laptop computers circulate for one week (no renewals). See below for instructions on how to request a laptop computer.
Equipment types other than laptop computers can be reserved in advance for pickup. Remaining items are available first-come. Most circulate for one week. Projectors normally circulate for 48-hours or over the weekend.
Equipment cannot be renewed. Upon returning the equipment item, a different unit may be checked out if available.
Equipment may be returned to the ERC or Circulation desks. Do NOT place equipment in the book drop. A damage fee may be charged if equipment is returned with broken parts, missing cables, or is placed in the book drop.
Borrowers must provide multimedia supplies, such as tapes, mini-DVDs, etc, for the equipment.
Equipment is available to current students, faculty, and staff for class-related projects. Community borrowers cannot checkout equipment.
- Laptop computers
- Video/Data projectors
- Digital cameras
- Digital camcorders
- Digital voice recorders
- Audio cassette tape recorders
- CD and cassette tape players
- Slide projectors
- Overhead projectors
- Microfilm & microfiche readers
- Lecternette PA system with microphone and amplifier
Multimedia equipment available for delivery to classrooms
Delivery requests must be made at least 24 hours in advance.
- Multimedia presentation carts
- One PC or one Mac laptop computer, plus LCD projector, document camera, VCR, and speakers. DVD player included on some computers.
- DVD cart with document camera, speakers, LCD projector
- TV carts with VCR/DVD combo players
Multimedia production services available
Duplication of CDs, DVDs, Videotapes, and cassette tapes. Requests for duplication must be related to class or other university business. Copyrighted materials will not be duplicated without written permission from the copyright holder.
Multimedia services provided by the Educational Resource Center (ERC) are meant to support the curriculum at Minnesota State University. State of Minnesota regulations and statutes prohibit use of state property for personal, commercial and/or non-profit organizational use.
Faculty and staff needing multimedia services should contact Academic Technology Services http://www.mnsu.edu/its/academic/ 389-5856
Classrooms located in ERC
- ML81 is a 34 computer classroom and is primarly used for library instruction. It is open for student use when no classes are scheduled. Contact Instruction Librarian Jennifer Turner to inquire about room 81.
- The Global Learning Lab (47) is a computer classroom arranged in a traditional layout. Software includes programs to assist with Modern Languages classes.
- The Casual Learning Lab (45) is an unconventional computer classroom that uses a variety of seating that allows for group work at tables or at computer booths. It is available as a study area when not in use for classes.
- ML 45 & 47 are maintained by the Academic Computer Center. To reserve one of these classrooms, go to the Events Management System.
Procedure for requesting a Library laptop computer
Laptop computers circulate for 1 week. You will need to place a hold if a laptop computer is not immediately available.
1. Find Library laptop computers in the online catalog.
2. Click on the location link in the record (Location/Available MSU,M Equipment Services --Equipment--Lower Level Library Info)
3. Click on Place Hold
4. Enter your library barcode number (14 digit number from your MavCard) and your last name in the space provided.
5. Click Go to get to the next screen
6. Do not change the dates on the screen. It is not possible to reserve a laptop computer for a specific date.
7. Click on Go to finish the process
8. Your name will be added to the hold queue in the order it was entered.
9. If computers are available for immediate checkout, you will see an error message "A hold cannot be placed on this item. Please see library staff" instead of hold confirmation. Inquire at the ERC service window or call 5944 to see if a computer is immediately available.
Hold Pickup Notice
10. When a laptop computer becomes available for you, a Hold Pickup Notice will be sent to your campus email address.
11. Print out the Hold Pickup Notice.
12. Bring your Hold Pickup Notice and your MavCard to the Media Services window in the ERC during open hours.
13. Computer will be due back one week later at the same time of day.
Please note the following details
1. You cannot place a hold on a certain laptop computer. You will receive the next available computer when your name is at the top of the queue.
2. Only one hold per person may be placed at any time.
3. Only one laptop computer per person may be checked out at any time
4. No one can place a hold on a laptop computer while he/she has one checked out.
5. Laptop computers on hold will be held for 1 day from when the hold notice is sent to your email address. It is the responsibility of the user to check his/her email and pick up the laptop computer.
6. Short-term use computers are available for checkout separate from the hold system. Request at ERC service counter.
7. Laptop computers and other equipment can only be picked up when the ERC Media Services window is staffed. No Hold Pickup Notices will be sent after noon on Fridays.
8. Laptops and other equipment cannot be renewed.
Questions about audio-visual equipment? Contact ERC staff by calling (507) 389-5944