How to Transfer Records
All materials transferred to the University Records Center must follow the appropriate retention schedule. Records transferred to the University Records Center should be LOW or NO USE items,
due to limited retrieval services.
- Identify records that need to be kept for a specific amount of time based on the retention schedule.
- Pack records in approved records boxes.
- The University Records Center requires all transferred records be filed in proper records storage boxes. Dimensions must be no larger than 12" x 10" x 15". Suitable boxes are available from the 2012 Innovative Office Solutions catalog (FEL-00789, pg 920, at a cost of $72.60 for a 12 box carton).
- It is wise to leave a 1-2" space in each box to allow ease of reference. Do not overpack the boxes.
- Never put additional material on the bottom, side or top of records in the box. Do not include mixed media (computer disks, microforms or videocassettes) in the same transfer with paper records without prior approval.
- No hard-bound, loose-leaf binders are to be included in your transfer.
- Please remove all binder clips from files in your transfer.
- Transferred records packed in unapproved, oversized, taped or marked may be deemed unsuitable for pick-up and transfer to the University Records Center.
- Number all boxes in the following manner: the number of the individual box and the total number of boxes.; such as 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3.
- Complete a Transfer Form detailing the box inventory.
- A complete box inventory includes the box contents, the dates covered and the destruction date for each individual box.
- Keep records with the same destruction date together within the same box.
- Departments must indicate if the series or records are subject to the Privacy Act.
- A complete box inventory will ensure accurate retrieval and disposition in the future.
- Each department should retain copies of all original Transfer Forms.
- Email the University Archives with your attached Transfer Forms.