shortcut to content

Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minnesota State University, Mankato

Page address: http://lib.mnsu.edu/archives/fa/smhc/smhc155.html

Minnesota State University, Mankato,
Memorial Library, Southern Minnesota Historical Center
Church of the Holy Communion (Episcopal), St. Peter, Nicollet County, Minnesota. Records, 1854 - 1979.
MSU Archives Collection 155



Church of the Holy Communion (Episcopal), St. Peter, Nicollet County, Minnesota. Records, 1854 - 1979. SMHC Manuscript Collection 155. 5 microfilm reels, 35 mm.

Abstract:

The Church of the Holy Communion (Episcopal) contains the Records of this church in Nicollet County, Minnesota. The collection includes parish histories, parish registers, minute books, cashbook, and correspondence. Also present are minute books and a cash book for the church's Ladies Aid and Woman's Auxiliary organizations

Biographical Note: Historical Note:

The first Episcopal service was held in St. Peter in 1854. The service occurred in the home of Captain William B. Dodd, one of the founders of St. Peter, and his wife, Harriet Newell Jones Dodd. Bishop C. Jackson Kemper, first missionary bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States, conducted the service.

Between 1854 and 1856, the Episcopal services, in St. Peter, were held in private homes and in at the public school by Reverend Timothy Wilcoxson and Reverend Ebenezer Steele Peake. Both Wilcoxson and Peake were traveling missionary priests serving the Minnesota Valley. In 1856, St. Peter was assigned its first resident missionary priest, Reverend Ezra Jones. Jones oversaw the construction of the first church building between 1856 and 1857. A portion of the building's construction fee was contributed by the Church of Holy Communion, New York City. The connection between New York and St. Peter arouse from Harriet Dodd. Previously, she was a member of the New York Church prior to marrying and the church in St. Peter was named in honor of the New York church.

The Church of the Holy Communion, St. Peter, Nicollet County, Minnesota, was organized as a mission in 1857 and admitted to the Minnesota Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in 1858. The rector, wardens, vestrymen, and congregation organized as a parish in 1867. The parish was incorporated in 1870 under Reverend Edward Livermore who served St. Peter's residents between 1860 and 1883.

Scope and Content:

Reel One: reel contains historical narratives compiled by George C. Tanner the diocesan registrar and historian. His collection of narratives covers the years 1855 through 1859 and was compiled ca. 1900 - 1905. Also, the reel contains the History of the Church of the Holy Communion, St. Peter, Minnesota, 1854 to 1977 and parish registers dated from 1860 to 1975.

Reel Two: This reel holds five parish minute books dated 1912 through 1965, correspondence, and miscellaneous pages dated 1955 - 1965.

Reel Three: Reel three contains four parish minute books, 1960 - 1979, a parish cash book, 1955 - 1961, correspondence and miscellaneous papers, 1967 - 1969, and a parish newsletter entitled The Notes dated 1962 and 1963.

Reel Four: The minute book for the Ladies' Society, 1891 - 1897, the minute books for the Women's Auxiliary, 1898 - 1960, and the cash book for the Women's Auxiliary are contained on this reel.

Reel Five: This reel is a near duplicate of the first real except the two sections on the church's history are not contained on this reel.

Restrictions:

There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property and libel laws as they apply.

Collection Citation:

Church of the Holy Communion (Episcopal), St. Peter, Nicollet County, Minnesota. Records, 1854 - 1979. SMHC Manuscript Collection 155, Southern Minnesota Historical Center, Memorial Library, Minnesota State University, Mankato.

Acquisition:

This collection was loaned by the Protestant Episcopal Church, Diocese of Minnesota to the Minnesota Historical Society for microfilm duplication, and the historical society donated this collection in 1975 and 1979.

Processed By:

The Archive's staff processed this collection.
The finding aid was revised by Jeff A. Jenson in January 2002.

Related Collections:

There are similar manuscript collections about the Church of the Holy Communion available at the Minnesota Historical Society in St. Paul, Minnesota, the Protestant Episcopal Church, Diocese of Minnesota, and the Southwest Minnesota Historical Center in Marshall, Minnesota.

LCSH Subject Headings:

Church of the Holy Communion (Saint Peter, Minn.)
Dodd, Harriet Newell Jones.
Dodd, William B., 1811-1862.
Jones, Ezra.
Kemper, Jackson, 1789-1870.
Livermore, Edward, 1815-1886.
Peake, Ebenezer Steele, 1830-1905.
Wilcoxson, Timothy, 1818-1884.
Episcopal Church. Diocese of Minnesota.
Church records and registers--Minnesota--Saint Peter.
Registers of births, etc.--Minnesota--Nicollet County.
Women in church work--Minnesota.
Nicollet County (Minn.)--Statistics, Vital.
Saint Peter (Minn.)

SMHC Manuscript Collection 155

Reel

Volume

A History of the Church of the Holy Communion, St. Peter, Minnesota, 1854 to 1977 , 1977

1

 

Correspondence and Miscellaneous Papers, 1955 - 1959

2

 

Correspondence and Miscellaneous Papers, 1960 – 1965

2

 

Correspondence and Miscellaneous Papers, 1967 – 1969

3

 

Historical Narratives, 1855 – 1859

1

 

Ladies’ Society, Minute Book, 1891 – 1897

4

16

Parish Register, 1860 – 1891

1

1

Parish Register, 1890 – 1913

1

2

Parish Register, 1914 – 1945

1

3

Parish Register, 1945 – 1975

1

4

Parish Minute Book, 1912 – 1941

2

5

Parish Minute Book, 1941 – 1950

2

6

Parish Minute Book, 1951 – 1954

2

7

Parish Minute Book, 1955 – 1959

2

8

Parish Minute Book, 1960 – 1965

2

9

Parish Minute Book, 1960 – 1969

3

10

Parish Minute Book, 1970 – 1974

3

11

Parish Minute Book, 1975 – 1976

3

12

Parish Minute Book, 1977 – 1979

3

13

Parish Minute Book, 1955 – 1961

3

14

Parish Newsletter, “The Notes,” 1962 – 1963

3

15

Woman’s Auxiliary, Cash Book, 1904 – 1944

4

23

Woman’s Auxiliary, Minute Book, 1898 – 1900

4

17

Woman’s Auxiliary, Minute Book, 1901 – 1908

4

18

Woman’s Auxiliary, Minute Book, ca. 1912 – 1924

4

19

Woman’s Auxiliary, Minute Book, 1926 – 1933

4

20

Woman’s Auxiliary, Minute Book, 1939 – 1949

4

21

Woman’s Auxiliary, Minute Book, 1949 – 1960

4

22