shortcut to content

Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minnesota State University, Mankato

Page address: http://lib.mnsu.edu/archives/fa/smhc/smhc1270.html

Minnesota State University, Mankato,
Memorial Library, Southern Minnesota Historical Center
German Conferences of the Methodist Church of America. Minnesota
MSU Archives Collection 1270



German Conferences of the Methodist Church of America. Minnesota Church Records, 1855-1933. SMHC Manuscript Collection 1270. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.

Abstract:

Records concerning German-speaking Minnesota congregations, kept by the two geographically defined conferences of the Methodist Episcopal Church that governed them. There are minutes, financial record books, church registers, and records of congregational organizations and societies from Minnesota districts and congregations.

Historical Note:

In the late 1830s, German-speaking congregations of the Methodist Episcopal Church (the church's official name from 1784-1939) began to be grouped into a number of geographically defined German conferences. These conferences were divided into districts, which were, in turn, made up of individual congregations. The Northwest German Conference was organized in 1864. It initially included the following districts: Chicago, Galena (IL), Milwaukee, St. Paul, and Red Wing (MN). By 1887 the conference had become so large that an additional conference-the Northern Central Conference was formed. It consisted of German Methodist districts and congregations in Minnesota, North Dakota, and northern Wisconsin. Administratively the congregations were in a constant state if flux, often transferring their affiliation from district to district, even from conference to conference.

The Northwest German Conference existed until 1933 (by which time it had become the Northwest-Chicago German Conference). At that time its member congregations were absorbed into English-speaking conferences of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Northern German Conference remained in existence until 1924. Its Minnesota congregations also were absorbed by English-speaking conferences - the Minnesota Conference and the Northern Minnesota Conference.

Scope and Content:

This collection pertains to Minnesota districts and congregations and contain: quarterly conference minute books; church registers that list, pastors, members, probationers, elders, congregational and district officers, class leaders, trustees, marriages, baptisms, catechism classes, and deaths; financial records, and records of various related organizations such as the Sunday School and the Epworth League. Most of the information is in German.

These records were originally collected by the German Methodist Historical Library, Bethesda Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio. Beginning about 1920, the library solicited original records and printed materials from German Methodist Churches and ministers throughout the United States. In 1972 the library's holdings were transferred to the Cincinnati Historical Society, although the Bethesda Board of Trustees retained legal possession. The Minnesota records were loaned to the Minnesota Historical Society for microfilming in 1978.

This reel is one roll of an eight-roll set of microfilm that completes this collection. A complete set of microfilm is available at the Minnesota Historical Society and includes information on the Northern German Conference, the Northwest German Conference, and more information on Minnesota Districts and Congregations.

Restrictions:

There are no restrictions on use of this collection for research purposes. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property and libel laws as they apply. Permission of the Cincinnati Historical Society is required for publication.

Collection Citation:

German Conferences of the Methodist Church of America. Minnesota Church Records, 1855-1933. SMHC Manuscript Collection 1270, Southern Minnesota Historical Center, Memorial Library, Minnesota State University, Mankato.

Acquisition:

The Minnesota Historical Society donated this collection in 1979.

Related Collections:

It has been determined that a complete set of this collection relating to Minnesota is available at the Minnesota Historical Society. The complete collection is available at the Cincinnati Historical Society.

LCSH Subject Headings:

German Methodist Mission (Clearwater, Minn.).
German Methodist Church (Corinna, Minn.).
Methodist Episcopal Church. Northwest German Conference.
Methodist Episcopal Church. Northern German Conference.
German Methodist Mission (Owatonna, Minn.).
German Methodist Mission (Princeton, Minn.).
German Methodist Mission (Saint Cloud, Minn.).
Church records and registers--Minnesota.
Germans--Minnesota.
Methodist Episcopal Church--Missions.
Methodist Episcopal Church--Minnesota.
Women in church work.

SMHC Manuscript Collection 1270

Volume

Reel

Clearwater ( Stearns County) and Princeton ( Mille Lacs County) Missions. Quarterly Conference Minute Book, 1896-1910.

41

1

Clearwater Mission, Stearns County. Church Register, 1893-1912 (Includes: Elders (1862-1911), Personal and Statistical Records (1865-1912)(Members, baptisms, church property, Sunday School members, benevolent collections, and minstrel support are listed by year under the pastors name.), Probationers (1893-1907), Members in Full Connection ( 1895-1919), and Marriages (1898-1913).

44

1

Clearwater Mission, Stearns County. Quarterly Conference Minute Book, 1882-1906.

40

1

Corinna Church, Wright County. Trustees Financial Record, 1875-1903. (Accounts contain records from other circuits and preaching stations throughout Minnesota and Wisconsin.)

45

1

Owatonna Mission, Steele County. Church Register, 1875-1903. Includes: Historical Note (1875), Index, Officers (1874-1900), Members (1876-1903)(By Family), Marriages (1901-1903), Baptisms (1876-1901), Deaths (1876-1898))

48

1

Owatonna Mission, Steele County. Epworth League Minute Book, 1895-1896. (Officers, members, attendance, and minutes.)

49

1

Owatonna Mission, Steele County . Epworth League Minute Book, 1896-1906. (Officers, members, attendance, and minutes.)

50

1

Owatonna Mission, Steele County. Quarterly Conference Minute Book, 1876-1885.

46

1

Owatonna Mission, Steele County. Quarterly Conference Minute Book, 1886-1898.

47

1

Princeton, Mille Lacs County. Quarterly Conference Minute Book, 1914-1918.

42

1

St. Cloud and Clearwater, Stearns County. Quarterly Conference Minute Book, 1869-1881. (The title page of the volume cites both the St. Cloud and Clearwater missions; Clearwater was added after St. Cloud was crossed out. The minutes from 1869 to June 18, 1870 are labeled St. Cloud Mission: the remainder are labeled Clearwater Mission.)

39

1

St. Cloud Mission, Stearns County. Church Register, 1865-1894. (Includes: index, members (undated) (membership lists on pages 70-73 are labeled Clearwater Mission), Elders (1865-1892), Pastors (1865-1894), district Officers (1878-1892), Class leaders (1878-1892), Trustees (1875-1894), Catechism classes ( 1883-1889)(labeled Clearwater Mission), Baptisms (1869-1893), Marriages (1870-1894), deaths (1870-1884)

43

1