Paul WyssPage address: http://lib.mnsu.edu/about/staff/wyss/wyss.html
Paul Alan Wyss
Distance Education Librarian
Voice: (507)389-2258 Fax: (507)389-5155
Responsibilities:I am the Librarian for students who are taking distance education classes through Minnesota State University. In this capacity, I provide reference service, research consultations, and assist students with Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery. I also work at Memorial Library's Reference Desk and teach Library Instruction Classes.
I serve as a member of the Collection Development team for the College of Education. My primary departments are:
- Counseling and Student Personnel
University of South Dakota, Vermillion, South Dakota
Doctor of Education.
Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Master of Library and Information Science
University of Wisconsin—Stevens Point, Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Bachelor of Science in Psychology
Distance Education Librarian, Minnesota State University—Mankato, Mankato, Minnesota, August 2004 to present.
- Responsible for coordinating library services, activities, and initiatives related to Minnesota State University’s new campus wide emphasis on extended learning and distance education.
- Serve as contact person for faculty and students involved in distance learning programs.
- Coordinate and provide instruction and reference services to Minnesota State University’s distance learning population.
- Use the latest technology available to facilitate information delivery to off-site students.
- Explore cooperative relationships with other libraries in our service region so that Minnesota State University students at a distance have needed resources.
- Work with appropriate groups on campus to facilitate access to electronic resources for Minnesota State University users involved in distance learning.
- Create and Maintain Memorial Library’s Distance Education Web Page: http://lib.mnsu.edu/distlearn/index.html.
Reference/Instruction/Distance Education/Assistive Technology Librarian, University of Wisconsin—Stout, Menomonie, Wisconsin, May 2001 to August 2004.
- Redesigned the University of Wisconsin—Stout Library Learning Center Distance Education Page
- Redesigned the University of Wisconsin—Stout Library Learning Center Research Tutorial
- Redesigned the University of Wisconsin—Stout Library Learning Center Library Tour
- Updated the Library Learning Center Assistive Technology Suite to meet current hardware and software standards
- Provided reference service at the Library Learning Center Reference Desk.Taught bibliographic instruction classes for Freshman English, Speech, Business Writing, and Experimental Psychology
- Provided individualized reference service for students with disabilities
Reference/Electronic Services Librarian, Oshkosh Public Library, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, May 2000 to May 2001.
- Designed the Oshkosh Public Library Main Page.
- Created a template for all Oshkosh Public Library web pages.
- Converted all Oshkosh Public Library web pages to the new template design.
- Created the filling system and navigation for the Oshkosh Public Library Web Page.
- Acted as Collection Development Librarian for the Psychology, Philosophy, and Religion sections of the Library’s collection.
- Provided reference service at the Oshkosh Public Library Reference Desk 20 to 25 hours per week.
Distance Education/Bibliographic Instruction Librarian, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, South Dakota, April 1997 to May 2000.
- Acted as primary contact for students and Faculty who were participating in University of South Dakota extension courses.
- Served as a Reference Librarian at the I.D. Weeks Library Main Reference Desk.
- Taught bibliographic instructions classes in the disciplines that spanned the University of South Dakota curriculum.
- Acted as Collection Development Librarian for the Psychology, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Studies, and Communication Disorders Departments.
- Designed the I.D. Weeks Library Main page.
Interim Head of Reference, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, South Dakota, August 1997 to January 1998.
- Scheduled Reference Desk coverage for the I.D. Weeks Library to ensure effective reference service.
- Maintained the policies and procedures of the Reference and Circulation Departments of the Library.
Interim Library Services Coordinator, Walden University at Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, July 1996 to April 1997.
- Conducted comprehensive literature searches for the students and faculty of Walden University.
- Created online tutorials for students in database searching.
Distance Education Reference Assistant, Walden University at Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, June 1996 to July 1996.
- Assisted students in developing their reference skills in using databases such as PsychLit, Sociofile, ERIC, ABI/Inform, and Medline.
Reference Librarian Volunteer, Beaver Dam Community Library, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, August 1995 to June 1996.
- Aided patrons in using print and electronic resources.
Reference Assistant, Walden University at Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, June 1995 to July 1995.
- Instructed students in using the databases in the Indiana University Libraries System.
Reference Assistant, Undergraduate Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, July 1994 to June 1995.
- Provided reference and research assistance to students at the Undergraduate Library Reference Desk.
Manager, Antique Mall of Manitowoc, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, January 1992 to August 1993.
Manager, Kay-Bee Toy and Hobby Shop #279, Brookfield Square Mall, Brookfield, Wisconsin, February 1991 to January 1992.
Manager, Kay-Bee Toy and Hobby Shop #196, Beaver Dam Mall, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, January 1988 to February 1991.
Assistant Manager, Kay-Bee Toy and Hobby Shop #237, East Towne Mall, Madison, Wisconsin, October 1988 to January 1989.
Assistant Manager, Kay-Bee Toy and Hobby Shop #196, Beaver Dam Mall, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, Beaver Dam Mall, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, October 1987 to October 1988.
- Distance Learning Sub Met and Confer.
- Student Services Subcommittee of the Distance Learning Sub Met and Confer.
- Memorial Library Personnel Committee
- Memorial Library Serials Review Committee
Peer Reviewed Proceedings Publication:
- Experiential and Transformational Learning Theories as they Apply to Library Information Literacy. Proceedings of E-Learn - World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, & Higher Education, Vancouver, Canada, pp. 1790-1801, October 24-28, 2005
Peer Reviewed Conference Presentation:
- Experiential and Transformational Learning Theories as they apply to Library Information Literacy, E-Learn 2005—World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, Vancouver, Canada. October, 2005.
- An Overview of Web-based Library Catalogs, South Dakota Library Association (with Todd Digby and Steve Johnson). October 1997.